Monday, July 21, 2014

yukata dress


Hello!!

First of all, thank you for the kind inquiries some of you made privately or publicly to ask if I was doing OK recently, I'm doing very fine! Actually I've been doing much better in this summer than usual but haven't been knocked out by the heat, I mean, not yet. I hope you're fine too.

I've got a Yukata fabric and made a dress from it.



Japanese Yukata is a casual summer kimono and is usually made of cotton. Yukata fabrics are narrow and long, same as traditional Kimono fabrics, and are usually sold as a roll of 12-13meters to serve one garment. I bought a roll which was sold very very cheap because of its imperfection. In other words, the fabric had a smidge of lightest sunburn at the both edges of the roll (not at the edges of the fabric surface!) from a longer storage. I couldn't see any problem with its quality as a fashion fabric.

Although I was happy to find it for an affordable price, I have to say that I also felt a bit sad because this pretty fabric was treated as a defective product even though it had only an almost unnoticeable imperfection. It was sold for about 1/5 of full price, I guess. We are sometime (maybe, often) too avaricious on newness and perfection on general merchandise, I think. Some people buy only magazines that are completely new and have never opened by any others because they believe in newness is the best commercial value of all. I wonder... But hey, I anyway got it and tried to make the most of its charm by making it into a summer dress. I love myself because I can sew and could use it! I could make it into a yukata, but I made a simple dress because I don't wear yukatas very often.


This weekend, my daughter and I visited Tokyo and stayed at a hotel which had a pretty garden with lots of greens. We enjoyed the stay very much! DD took photographs for me and the dress in the garden promenade. See the endless row of wind bells for entertaining the guests in the garden! They sounded so charming. Sounded like tiny fairies chatting everywhere in the garden. Now I'm well spellbound and I can survive this summer by the power of tiny green fairies.



I love you all! Have a great day!

Love,
yoshimi

 


=====
pattern: 847deux* from Annee-Patterns
fabric: yukata cotton, plain woven, flower prints over indigo shibori-dyed, light, coarse density, smooth surface, relatively firm, 37cm wide. used approx. 6m long.
=====

23 comments:

  1. You have such a good eye for prettiness. This fabric, the style and your surroundings. I hope you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made a beautiful dress with this fabric! I love your description of the garden you visited. How fun for you and your DD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress and so glad that you could make such good use of the fabric, such pretty orchid flowers. The garden sounds magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty dress! I love the fabric and the style. Enjoy your time with your family and the beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty dress and lovely surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous dress, and I love the story about the fabric. The setting looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely ,lovely dress! The gardens look wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress and the fabric is beautiful! When you work with narrow width kimono fabric, do you need to piece it in order to accommodate some of the pattern pieces. It is so elegant in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran, thank you for the comment! Yes, we need to! I just split the dress at the center for having right and left panels in the body, and it was perfectly fine. I decreased the sleeve cap ease a bit as well, but this didn't cause much problem either. You may be able to look at the front center seam better here
      http://files.kollabora.com/sites/default/files/styles/project_main_images/public/324650/files/747_140720-dress.jpg?itok=XDMh9Sde

      Delete
  9. Very lovely Yoshimi! It is so nice that you were able to save this beautiful fabric and make it into a beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful dress! Love the simple pattern you chose, as it showcases your gorgeous fabric. What great memories for you and your DD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dress looks so cool and comfortable. And a great shape! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore the Iris design on your fabric. I'm planning a trip to Kyoto this spring. My friend there has told me in detail about the summer heat.
    Beautiful dress on you

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful and I like that color on you. and the back v neckline is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, dreamy, feminine, soft, pretty, charming, all those things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous Yoshimi, you have such a lovely style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dress is so pretty! I'm glad you were able to save this beautiful fabric, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! It's surprising that such a lovely fabric was so heavily reduced. As you say maybe we attach too much importance to newness and perfection x

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful that you "rescued" this fabric to make your beautiful dress. The garden is lovely, too--so nice that you got to share it with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Yoshimi - the dress pattern looks sad, uninteresting and boring, but it just shows you.....your choice of fabric, good fitting around the bust and proper length have all worked towards a most gorgeous dress! You can well wear this dress with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your dress, it's a simple shape but it's very well fitted on you and the fabric's lovely in a wabi sabi way^^ And it looks like you had a wonderful time in Tokyo, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful! I love the fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Yoshimi, what a beautiful dress and fabric! I wish I could get some of that here on the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!!